Davis House

Davis House

Built in 1978. It is the only log house still standing on its original lot in the town of Romney. The house was built by Matthew Montgomery. Mr. Montgomery sold the house to William Naylor. In 1827, Mr. Naylor’s daughter, Leacy Anne married Angus William McDonald and the two appear to have moved into the house. The home was sold to William Davis in 1949 and remained in the Davis family until the deaths of Miss Kate and Miss Mary in 1984. It was their wish that it be donated to the Library. The Davis House’s history is strongly intertwined with that of the Civil War. The Davis House was used as a meeting place for the Confederates and as a place to leave messages.

Tours of the Davis House can be arranged by contacting the Hampshire County Public Library. For more information or to book a tour please contact us: 304-822-3185 or library@hamcopl.org.